In 2012, men made up 48% of the state of New York’s population while women accounted for the remaining 52%, according to data from the Kaiser Family Foundation. New York’s population in 2012 amounted to 19 million; 14% consisted of adults ages 65 and above. Individuals over 75 years of age comprised half of the state’s number of senior citizens.
The New York State Department of Health notes that residents die mostly due to cardiovascular diseases rather than any other illness. The state recorded 59,000 fatalities from this condition in 2007. Stroke, a cardiovascular disease, can cause disability in survivors. Moreover, obesity has reached epidemic proportion in the state, data showed that cases of obesity in older adults increased by 19.3% in 2013. Obesity can lead to a more serious condition which includes diabetes, heart disease and asthma. Patients suffering from these conditions can benefit from assistance in daily activities and health maintenance through long-term care.
Tobacco can increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. The Department of Health adds that New York ranks fifth among states in lowest incidence of smoking. Yet, 2.4 million adult residents continue to smoke. In 2003, the state expanded its Clean Indoor Air Act, an initiative to curb tobacco use, and saved about $56 million in medical costs.
Cost of Care
Below are the average daily cost* of long-term care services in New York.
|City||Nursing Facility1||Assisted Living1||Adult Day Care2||Home Health Aide3|
*Costs are rounded to the nearest whole dollar.
1Daily average for a private room.
2Based on five days of care per week.
3Based on six hours of care per day, five days per week.
On June 1, 2012, New York participated in Medicaid’s National Reciprocity Compact. This allowed clients to continue reaping advantages from the program when they relocate to another Reciprocity state. Genworth’s long-term care insurance Partnership policyholders began receiving reciprocity details on May 6, 2013. Starting in 2014, Genworth increased its New York Partnership Plus’ minimum daily benefit amount up to $274.
John Hancock started marketing its Custom Care III LTCI policy, which particularly features the Benefit Builder, to state residents on January 28, 2013. The Benefit Builder serves as a less expensive choice over a traditional inflation option.
On May 9, 2013, Transamerica oversaw several changes to its business LTCI policies in New York. These changes include a 5% reduction in workplace discounts and cancellation of benefit periods that exceed 6 years. Moreover, Transamerica launched its TransCare II 2013, a newer LTCI product, in New York on December 2, 2013.
MedAmerica sells both group and individual Partnership policies in New York. Only the individual policies are available from Genworth, John Hancock, Massachusetts Mutual, and New York Life. Individuals in New York can also enroll for LTCI coverage through Allianz Life, American Family Life, Berkshire Life, First UNUM Life, Mutual of Omaha, Northwestern, and State Farm.
State Long-Term Care Programs
Medicare, the government program that pays for care services, began to broaden its coverage of physical exams and other preventive services on January 1, 2011. New clients of Part B, which helps in getting medical equipment, can benefit from the Welcome to Medicare exam within the first year of enrollment.
Persons with disabilities who need some form of care can apply t0 the Medicaid managed care program as long as they meet eligibility requirements. New York’s Medicaid operates a Marketplace, which goes by the name of NY State of Health, on a state basis. The NY State of Health can help in assessing insurance options and care costs. Furthermore, New York counts as one of the states that opted to expand Medicaid beginning in 2014.
Senior citizens can pay expenses for Medicare drug plans easier through the Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage, or EPIC, program. The state’s Department of Health also manages a Long-Term Home Health Care Program that allows skilled care dependents to stay in their homes.
To get more specific information regarding long-term care services and insurance options in New York, please check the following websites:
Provides a multitude of resource links about LTC settings, programs, and waivers.
Features links that discuss long-term care and types of services.
Offers a guide to LTCI along with links to care providers and insurers.
Compare Plan Options in New York
Get quotes for insurance coverage and options available in your area. Simply fill the form below with your information:
By clicking submit, you agree to be contacted by a representative who will process your quote request and answer your questions.